Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Remember

Remember ....

The word , remember , appears 231 times In the NIV Bible...

Remember your covenant ....
Remember me...
he remembered....
They remembered...
Remember your servant...

Exodus 33:13
If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.”

Deuteronomy 8:2
Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.

Job 10:9a
Remember that you molded me like clay.

Psalm 63:6
On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.

Psalm 105:5
Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, .....

Psalm 111:4
He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and compassionate.

Psalm 143:5
I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.

Today, Lord willing, I spend the day with Connie Strickland Braaten...we met in sixth grade, Emily's age....wow...at Toddy Thomas Elementary. School in Rohnerville, next to Fortuna, California .

What days,,I remember they were very hormonal...
On rainy days,  we could stay in the classrooms and play games, dance to records ...sunny days we would play four square, or just walk around the blacktop..
We had mrs. chism, and eighth grade, mr. Summerville or mr Sutherland .  mr underhill was the principal..

Our parents were best friends..  (Connie' edit - connie's parents let her have parties often). Connie's  mom had a craft store in her garage, so we did a lot of crafts together...resin grapes in every color, tissue roses, 
Connie played the accordion so she had lessons at the music store, we first owned, then worked at...

We had matching pjs for our eighth grade trip to Sacramento, matching dresses for eighth grade graduation ...went to the Seattle worlds fair in 1962'
We sang together, we had parties together , went camping together at Ruth Lake,,water skied or not together, had first crushes, sweet sixteen parties, dances , New Years dances
Were  in HS choir, our parents chaperoned our formal dances...they attended the football games, had dinner parties together ..
First horses, connie-Domi and I, Stormy
Later, in our sophomore year of college, we roomed together , she met Don first of my friends. The following summer I was in her wedding and that winter, she was In mine .she  and her mother gave me my wedding showers in Fortuna and Corvallis..
Connie's grandmother sewed my wedding dress and her maid of honor dress for my wedding..
Her grandfather always teased me about becoming the "timber queen" as Don's  parents owned some timber ground...
We had children within months of one another
Attended the same church in Corvallis..

She wore the makeup, we both teased our hair...
Thes last few years, I lost my mom, her parents came to her funeral in Fortuna, friendship ..

Then, This year we both faced sorrow together ,,me with the loss of Don, her with the loss of her father....
We can commiserate on loss, but can rejoice in remembering and how God has worked In both of our lives...over the years. Good remembering....

Thank you connie for the memories....

We both served in the different ways that we were gifted, InThe churches we attended over the years..God has been and continues to be dominant In our  lives ...He was there at the beginning, middle and is carrying us through now....


Remember.....







No comments:

Post a Comment