Thursday, November 17, 2022

Psalm 109…”but I give myself to prayer”…

 


Psalm 109…”but I give  myself to prayer”….


As I read and thought about psalm 109, two pictures kept coming to mind.


1. Jesus and his accusers before the cross…

2.

David speaks…

“Be not silent, O God of my praise! 

For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me,speaking against me with lying tongues. 

They encircle me with words of hate,and attack me without cause. 

In return for my love they accuse me,but I give myself to prayer. 

So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love.”

Ps.109.1-5


Jesus came because of his great love…and yet there were those who hated him…


David speaks..

“Those who render me evil for good accuse me because I follow after good.”

Ps.38.20


Remembering the movie, “The Passion”…the scenes of the soldiers, like vultures, hyenas going In for the kill…circling around Jesus with accusations…

“And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” 

And they cast lots to divide his garments. 

And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!” 

The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine”

Luke.23.34-36


2.The other picture was that of the stoning of Stephen…


 “And Stephen, full of grace and power, was doing great wonders and signs among the people. 

Then they secretly instigated men who said, “We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.” 

And they stirred up the people and the elders and the scribes, and they came upon him and seized him and brought him before the council, and they set up false witnesses who said, “This man never ceases to speak words against this holy place and the law, for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses delivered to us.” 

And gazing at him, all who sat in the council saw that his face was like the face of an angel. 

Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. 

But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 

Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. 

And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. 

And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 

And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” 

And when he had said this, he fell asleep.”

Acts.6.8,Acts.6.11-15,Acts.7.54-60


Others who were and are  falsely accused…could have written the same words as David…he wanted help, rescue, even vengeance…

But, he knows that God would deal with those around him…

He is the Rescuer…


 But you, O God my Lord,deal on my behalf for your name's sake;because your steadfast love is good, deliver me! 

For I am poor and needy,and my heart is stricken within me. 

I am gone like a shadow at evening;I am shaken off like a locust. My knees are weak through fasting;my body has become gaunt, with no fat. 

I am an object of scorn to my accusers;when they see me, they wag their heads. 

Help me, O Lord my God!Save me according to your steadfast love! 

With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord;I will praise him in the midst of the throng. 

For he stands at the right hand of the needy one,to save him from those who condemn his soul to death.

Ps.109.21-26Ps.109.30-31


Thank YOU…my Redeemer, Rescuer…


No comments:

Post a Comment