Thursday, November 10, 2022

Psalm 101…my dad…

 Psalm 101….my dad…


When I read this psalm, I thought of my dad…and tomorrow being Veterans Day…


My dad did not serve in the military, oh he tried, but was turned away for a heart murmur…and lived well into his eighties…

He would regale us with is unsuccessful try to enlist with a bunch of his buddies…


They graduated, a bunch of young men, who lived rurally, hardworking, fun loving, untraveled, innocent…catching a train from their farm homes to the big city of San Francisco…renting a hotel room, couldn’t find the bed, until they discovered it was “hidden” in the wall, finally dismantling it, they chose who actually got to sleep in it…going to the recruiting place to sign up, some accepted, others rejected…then adventuring around the town until they returned home to live their lives…


He would tell the tale, laughing  until he cried, going on to another story…we listened, laughing with  him until our cheeks ached…


He was a gentleman, tender, long suffering, patient and kind, “walked with integrity “…God-loving…a planner, friendly…loved my mother through 60 plus years…loved me, my husband, our children and theirs until he passed away…


He may not have served in the military like he would have liked, but he served well in the places he was called into…therein 

lies the secret for us all…


Thank YOU for giving me the dad You did…


 I will sing of steadfast love and justice;to you, O Lord, I will make music. 

I will ponder the way that is blameless.

Oh when will you come to me?

I will walk with integrity of heartwithin my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless.

I hate the work of those who fall away;it shall not cling to me. 

A perverse heart shall be far from me;I will know nothing of evil. Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I  will destroy.

Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I  will not endure. 

I will look with favor on the faithful in the land,that they may dwell with me;he who walks in the way that is blameless shall minister to me. 

No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house;no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes. 

Morning by morning I will destroy all the wicked in the land,cutting off all the evildoers from the city of the Lord.

Ps.101.1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment