Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Newspaper clippings...

Newspaper clippings.....

I have been sorting through boxes of newspaper clippings... At first, I thought they were just my fathers, then I realized there was other handwriting on some, my grandmothers...

Again,  I realized, I was putting aside a few articles , thinking this person or that  person would be interested In this or that piece of news or article.....

Then I laughed , here I am , third generation doing the same thing, looking at articles that someone would be "interested in..."   It must be genetic or generational......

But I found out that I laugh at the same jokes they thought were funny 70 years ago,.
They were concerned about the same things I am...weight, health, taking care of parents, connecting with their children, love of country, being good stewards of land and money, whatever the amount....

paper , papers and more papers-what to do with them .....what to keep and what not to keep,  putting names with things.."important bits of history,.....obituaries....graduations....engagements.....family events...they have historical value!!!   Life experiences....."InThe news" events that were important.....how to build bomb shelters.....surviving a nuclear war........we are still talking about the same issues .......

Building a house.....$240 for a whole foundation of concrete, 
A permit for use of dynamite to blow up redwood stumps where said house was going to go...splinters of redwood rained down on the whole neighborhood within a mile radius, we  couldn't do that now!!!  
What memories these pieces of paper hold.....

There are verse after verse in the Bible,,,"and the generation to come".  The Israelites were to teach, remember, command, 

Deuteronomy 32:7
Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you.

Job 8:8
“Ask the former generation and find out what their ancestors learned,

Psalm 33:11
But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

Deuteronomy  7:9
Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.

So this summer has held thousands of pieces of paper, my late husband's and my late father's....so similar in tone....interests, memories, life experiences, the "what ifs" of life, the plans,  stewardship of resources , church notes, stories.....

Thank you for the heritage again.., the care of each of these men for their families, their wives, their children.....neither man was perfect but they loved all of us...and they were what God made them to be.....sons, husbands, fathers, grand fathers, great grandfathers,  friends, businessmen, men of integrity, men of God.....

I love you both .....

No comments:

Post a Comment