Sunday, August 4, 2013

Inheritance......

Inheritance......

I have started going through my father's papers....papers dating back to the 1940's...I chuckled as I started  watching the dates, Thanking God that my dad didn't have the amount of storage space my husband did. Only two file cabinets plus boxes instead of rooms of them...that would have been overwhelming again this year....

But I wondered as Rachel and Leah did...

Genesis 31:14
Then Rachel and Leah replied, “Do we still have any share in the inheritance of our father’s 
Estate?

They didn't have paper trails, file folders, written wishes, advisors, lawyers, accountants ,computer websites to navigate,  the government to wade through, taxes on every detail, certificates, deeds,  etc., etc, etc...and my fathers estate is small...

I am not trying to find if I have any share, I am just trying to wade through it to make sure I do it right and that his wishes are carried out...he had a lot of notes...stories about various items, ....."monuments" in his life.  , a letter to the police officer about his first ticket, a wedding invitation-60 years old..., pictures...college papers....all on yellowed delicate papers...

The things we value.....will they be valued by the succeeding generations....the only thing eternal, valuable is God's word, His teaching, character...as we came into the world naked and go out the same way...no suitcases....we pay forward by investing in our families and InThe kingdom of God.....even the government can't take that away....

I feel like Joshua when he was commissioned to lead the people across to the promised land.   He was essentially the executor of the estate , the promised land, to make the divisions that God  had already planned .... He made the assignments and carried out the directions .

 Deuteronomy 3:28
But commission Joshua, and encourage and strengthen him, for he will lead this people across and will cause them to inherit the land that you will see.”

Proverbs 13:22
A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children, but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.

Proverbs 19:14a
Houses and wealth are inherited from parents,....

Proverbs 28:10b
..... but the blameless will receive a good inheritance.

Ecclesiastes 7:11
Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing and benefits those who see the sun.


Through all of this, it still sifts down to the bottom line..of this portion......

Psalm 16:5-7
5 Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
    you make my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7 I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.


 Lord, you have told us to give thanks at all times....so I thank you for the yellowed papers, the college notes...the memories....the inheritance of good people...help me to be wise executor...of land.. Of history...of family   In all that I do, remembering that these are just things ,,,stuff...You are the real Portion....the real Inheritance.....

No comments:

Post a Comment