Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dear dad, .......

Dear dad, 

Here we are assembled in remembrance of you..

 this a tall order....

My first picture of you is working In the dairy barn in Beatrice, lining up the cows, readying for milking....I was just barely walking, bundled up from the cold.  There is no photo of this, but I remember it still...then on through life, teaching me to ride horses before I could ride a bicycle as we lived on various ranches throughout California ....gatherings cattle, raising our own food , whether meat or gardens.   You were diligent in taking care of your family. Your work ethic was sure....

You were a teacher in bike riding , tractors and finally a car...always positive, never panicking .. A chaperon for high school dances, a foot ball fan,  a study partner at test times....

You made sure we were in church no matter where we lived.....there was no question of that....

Whistling , always with a tune on your lips, a story to tell, making friends in every part of your life, encouraging those around you with your postiveness.....

Loving your parents, brothers,,...Loving your wife, my mother, loving me, your daughter... Later, loving my husband  as he entered the picture.....

When grandchildren came along, you embraced each of them, cuddling them, sharing with them,  traveling with them...watching them grow ,  teaching them to care for others as well    As the land on which they lived...your stories, whistling continued to resound in all parts of their lives as well....
  
Again later still, you welcomed your great grandchildren, entering into their lives with your stories , their interests....friendliness, love, hugs, care abounded...

Your last words, your gentleness, sound through time,,,...."I love you, take care,,,,get some rest..."  And then we did...in our separate connected ways.....

Thank you , God, for being my Father, and giving me an earthly father , a man of integrity, kindness, love, caring...laughter, music , a teacher of people all of his days...a gentleman In his words and actions....


Deuteronomy 5:16
“Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Deuteronomy 11:19
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 32:7
Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you.

1 Samuel 12:23b
........And I will teach you the way that is good and right.

Psalm 34:11
Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment