Friday, August 16, 2013

Names....

Names....

When we had children, we chose names that we liked, as well as the meaning of the name...
Our oldest child 's name was red, like a fox; the next, a girl, meant liberty; the next, another girl meant beloved and the final one, a boy, meant gift of God....

My husband's name meant noble and mine, a lily, of all things....

Lo and behold all their names fit them...when I think of my oldest, he is observant, watchful, like a fox....the next, is very freedom loving and independent....the third, needs that consolation that she is indeed beloved....the last also needs that reinforcement that he is a gift....

Names.....all, through the Bible, names are so very important.  The names of God by His different attributes ,. If you look up the word, "called" in the Bible concordance,,,you can find all different places, people , what they are called and why...interesting.  It gives names to remember a certain events, places and persons..gave importance....


Comforter, provider. Creator.....there are whole books written about the names of God and their meanings, what He means to us, .....at various times of  our lives we rely on that one attribute that holds us together....and He is .....the I AM,  the first and the last....

People,in the Bible named their children for different events in their lives, or different events In their own lives...
Naomi to Mara, bitter...
Abram to Abraham,  father of many nations
Seth, God has granted me another son
Lo-Ruhamah, not loved

Jesus, the Messiah, the Savior, Emmanuel, God with us....., this is My Son...

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Genesis 17:5
No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.

Hosea 1:6
Gomer conceived again and gave birth to a daughter. Then the Lord said to Hosea, “Call her Lo-Ruhamah (which means “not loved”), for I will no longer show love to Israel, that I should at all forgive them.

Matthew 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Even my name means lily in Hebrew....
Luke 12:27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

I like that...God provides all and He has.....thank you...

What is the meaning of your name?   How has God used it in your life??

No comments:

Post a Comment