Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Pendleton shirts....

Pendleton shirts........

I was sitting church on Sunday behind a man wearing a Pendleton woolen shirt...now, this may not mean much to most, but to our family, Pendleton woolen shirts are big deals.  My father in law wore Pendleton shirts, my father wore them and my husband wore them...On our first date, my husband was wearing one,....if you look at the February 1 blog, you will see my husband wearing one as he holds his newborn son...as well as my father in law holding his grandson .....

When we were first married, he had a few, they were less expensive then, but over the years he accumulated more, not wanting to part with his first ones...I even went so far as taking off the collars and turning them over so the threadbare necks wouldn't show...

In college, I had to sew a plaid shirt, So I chose Pendleton fabric to create a shirt for my father...he wore it until it was totally thread bare, finally giving it up to one of his faithful dogs for its bed...but he called it is $12,000 shirt...his payback for college expenses. 

We toured the woolen mills in Pendleton, OR and Washugal,  WA., purchasing fabric for shirts, woolen scraps for rugs at one time...I sewed several shirts and made many rugs from their scraps, even teaching classes on their construction...my husband's favorite rug under feet near his recliner was Pendleton wool...my father's favorite lap blanket was as well, constructed by my daughter in law...

It seemed fitting at the end, that my husband was buried in a Pendleton shirt...I know he didn't need it to keep him warm, but, I needed it for him...those faithful Pendleton shirts....

Those shirts of both my father and husband were divided between sons, sons in law and grandsons...they may or may not wear them, but they are memories of people we all loved, their colors, their texture, their smell...their faithful warmth....

Watching the Griefshare videos reminds me of things we hold on to...those pieces of our loved ones...those favorites we look at, handle, cry over...such a part of the past now...but still part of us....sometimes flooding us with memories, other times gentle touches....of times past....they have left their mark on us...

God is faithful..., touching our lives mightily at times, gently at others....He is always there, reminding us of His care, warming our spirits with His infinite love....He doesn't wear out...He never leaves us or forsake us....wrapping us with His protection....He is there from the beginning and will always be there without end....faithful .....

Thank YOU for Your faithfulness, wrapping us like these Pendleton shirts, only much much better.....

Psalm 102:26-27 They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded. But you remain the same, and your years will never end. 

Psalm 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right and true;he is faithful in all he does. 

Psalm 40:11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord; may your love and faithfulness always protect me. 

Psalm 57:10 For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. 

Psalm 86:11, 15 Teach me your way, Lord,that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart,that I may fear your name.
 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment