Saturday, February 7, 2015

Master gardening.....senior living....

Master gardening ......and senior living....

The other day I had the privilege of picking up a woman, who is my mother's age, from one of the many senior assisted living establishments.   She has recently sold her huge home on the hill, after sorting and selling years of accumulated stuff. Now she lives in a one bedroom apartment. She had been very active in the community, as well as physically active...just like my parents....now, she rarely drives, except to church.....she is adjusting gracefully to her new surroundings...but it is hard, but she has her faith and sense of humor, which she has cultivated over the years... 

She got to relating stories of her new home.....people's reactions to one another, dining, social events....some so sad, others amusing....aging in general....the loneliness of missing family and friends, the adjustment of change from the familiar freedom she had enjoyed to the more confining environment which age has brought.....from living on her own to basically dormitory living and eating in the course one day....

I have watched my parents, friends over the years age and make these moves over the years...some do it with gusto, others with apprehension, some with grace and others with bitterness...

I am heading in that direction as well and my prayer is, "Help me age gracefully....with no regrets". So i want to put into practice those lifestyles which will help me honor God and those around me, care for others, a sense of humor, physical activity, etc...that if, in twenty years, I have the opportunity to make the same changes she has, I will be a light to those around me...

What and how do I cultivate those attitudes?  The Master Gardener is working everyday in my life to work to that end...Thank YOU for working in my life...help me be receptive soil, seed ....to grow in Your grace and love...a beautiful garden filled with color and abundance....not a weed patch....or hardened and rocky...

Psalm 92:14 They will still bear fruit in old age,they will stay fresh and green, 

Ecclesiastes 12:1-7, 13 Remember your Creator in the days of your youth,before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say,“I find no pleasure in them”— before the sun and the lightand the moon and the stars grow dark,and the clouds return after the rain; when the keepers of the house tremble,and the strong men stoop,when the grinders cease because they are few,and those looking through the windows grow dim; when the doors to the street are closed and the sound of grinding fades;when people rise up at the sound of birds,but all their songs grow faint; when people are afraid of heights and of dangers in the streets;when the almond tree blossoms and the grasshopper drags itself along and desire no longer is stirred.Then people go to their eternal home and mourners go about the streets. Remember him—before the silver cord is severed,and the golden bowl is broken;before the pitcher is shattered at the spring,and the wheel broken at the well, and the dust returns to the ground it came from,and the spirit returns to God who gave it. 
Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the duty of all mankind. 

Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I  am he, I am he who will sustain you.I have made you and I will carry you;I will sustain you and I will rescue you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment