Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Loneliness....

Loneliness....

One of the pervasive topics at a grief support group is loneliness...the loneliness that comes with widowhood and death.....especially after 30+ years of marriage but even after short times as well....you have given Yourself to another on all levels of your personhood and suddenly they are gone leaving those parts open and vulnerable, empty and emptiness ensues like nothing else....no other relationships, as much as they would like can replace that closeness....for those in good health, and/or longevity , the years can stretch out into the distance....replacement is really not the alternative....nor idle filling of time,  but purpose and finding out where God wants to use us seems to be the answer.

At first, that searching is even hard to fathom...."we are or did..."....or "we worked  together"....seem to pervade the thoughts....not what can I do....or how do I do it....the "we" is hard to let go of....to start thinking the "I"....

The grief is always there, no doubt, the tears, the memories...the past..and at some right time, we realize that it is in the past...it is memories...and we move forward ...we can't pick up the  phone, or wait for that door to open and close, or that car to arrive....or cute note to appear...they just aren't there anymore...there are still ambushes of emotion, wondering the "why" questions, or even the guilt of the "might have beens" or the  "should've or could've or why didn't "I see it coming"....but even these questions need,at sometime, to be laid to rest and life, must be faced....

Reflections.....putting life into perspective...with...where do I or we go from here....the right paths, relationships....actions, decisions ....activities.....what has meaning and what is eternal....what is right for me/ us has to answered, prayerfully,   Piece by piece....not quickly, but with a pervading  peace.....life gets put into a new order...going on...until such time as we are also called home....and the process repeated for those left behind...


Thank YOU for time, peace, reflection, comfort....You are the underlying hand that holds us together, the filler of our hearts and souls...

Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3     he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    Forever ....

Isaiah 40:1
[ Comfort for God’s People ] Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.

Isaiah 49:13
Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment