Sunday, December 1, 2013

Arranged marriages....?

Arranged marriages....?


46 years ago,my husband and I met for the first time...on this date.....

our college was having yet another "get to meet others event". This time it was a computer date....can you imagine.   We filled out these questionnaires, handed them into a central place and waited.   I talked everyone into on my floor...I cannot even imagine doing this now...but it was something I felt compelled to do...the guys were given the residence numbers, no names and were to pick up their dates with a corresponding number.   There was a dance at the student union to get aquatinted...he checked in at the residence hall desk and had me paged....the last date to show up for the entire floor, by the way...we met in the foyer of the hall, walked the short distance to the student union, walked through and went instead to the coffee shop and talked for rest of the evening...

Later, we both concurred that since we both had put Alaska as a point of travel...that is what the computer decided was the matching point.......

After that evening was over, I heard renditions of others' first dates.  All were nice, but no one dated that person again except us...and we were married over a year later...we had more in common than Alaska.....

We all meet our mates different ways, somehow arranged by Himself, if we follow His leading....in a parking lot, at a friends, at church, online, at work, a myriad of ways...there is something that draws us together and voila...marriage...

God especially designed Eve for Adam, Rebekah for Isaac, Sarah for Abraham, Ruth for Boaz, .....Mary for Joseph....Elizabeth for Zachariah ....

Us for Him, as a bride, the church for himself...

We all have the opportunity to work through marriage, it isn't always the easiest in the best of times...just as we are going through life, being prepared to be the bride of the Lamb...there are times of testings....times of per joy....anger,...repentance, forgiveness, learning...adjustments to marriage...both in our person to person marriages and our lives in Christ...

I want to thank YOU, for the husband You especially prepared for me....our marriage, our lives together, our journeys...our ups and downs...I wouldn't trade those years ....drawing closer to one another and to You....

Genesis 2:18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

The book of Ruth

Genesis 24:12 Then he prayed, “Lord, God of my master Abraham, make me successful today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13 See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. 14 May it be that when I say to a young woman, ‘Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,’ and she says, ‘Drink, and I’ll water your camels too’—let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.”

Luke 1:5, 27
[ The Birth of John the Baptist Foretold ] In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron.
27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.












No comments:

Post a Comment