Monday, October 7, 2013

I made my mother in law's pancakes the other day....



I made my mother in law's pancakes the other day......

When I was growing up, my mother made very light silver dollar sized pancakes, my grandmother made Danish pancakes, aebleskivers(the shape of golf balls with apple slices inside). My mom would also make shapes, Mickey Mouse, or cats, whatever, sometimes with raisins for eyes....fun..

When I married, I made either one as well as I had learned...my young husband was astounded at the smallness and lightness of them...his mother, on the other hand, had made plate sized pancakes which were dry, but very filling....he remembered hearing on the school bus the raves of classmates bragging about how many of their mother's pancakes they had eaten...while he could barely eat one of his mothers...

This family story was  heard over the ensuing years, as we had pancakes.....

So the other morning, I fixed breakfast for  three of my grandchildren. I had made my pancakes with yogurt and they grew and grew to cake size....I had to tell,them of their great grandmother's pancakes.......family history.....memories....chuckles...differences....learning....honoring...

My mother in law was a widow In her last years after 50 plus years of marriage...now I wish I would have talked to her about that time of life...we talked of other things, though, which was alright.  I helped her sort through her house after she moved into a "rest home"...she visited her home many times to reminisce ...to walk around the woods,  enjoying the freedom away from the rest home...we worked together through a lot of family pictures for a book, we worked on of family history...my children remember her at their different ages of a variety of ways....

We had learned to get along with one another over the years....she didn't know what tondo,with girls after raising four boys, ....I didn't know what to do with a mother in law..accept get along with one another....I wish now I would have asked a lot more questions...about her life,which  had been very hard growing up.....I tried to understand her the best I could at the time...

But, I know our pancakes were different....usually....

Lord, i want to thank you for good memories, laughter...care, and honor of my parents as well as my husband's parents....they all loved us well....they taught us of You....they handed down important values, ideas, cares....a good inheritance....of love....

Exodus 20:12
“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Esther 9:28
28 These days should be remembered and observed in every generation by every family, and in every province and in every city........nor should the memory of these days die out among their descendants.

Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Colossians 3:13
Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment