Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Wealth...

Wealth....

In my Chronological reading of the Bible this year, I am finally up to Ecclesiastes...the part that struck me this am was wealth.
I am currently traveling around a small/big part of Alaska. Small, in that we are barely day's drive from Anchorage.   Big, in that everything is big, the water, the towering mountains...the scenery...magnificent...even the storm that pounded us...

But, there are thousands of tourists, cruise ships, campers, travelers, of which I am one...and it takes "wealth" to be here, whether the retirees, those   who have saved diligently to come or are living on credit...all ages, nationalities...

I had to pull back and put this into perspective for myself...God has blessed our family for whatever reason...my husband was diligent in his God given vocation, in his gifting of giving...we, who remain after his death are trying to be wise managers of the legacy he left...either in talents or resources...we are trying to be diligent in the vocations and giftings God has given each of us as well...I, personally have to make sure I am enjoying life and not always worry that I must be so focused on handing off the blessings...I want to be balanced in giving and living...wise....thank YOU for perspective...the blessings You have bestowed, the beauty You created to be enjoyed...

This is what I have observed to be good: that it is appropriate for a person to eat, to drink and to find satisfaction in their toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given them—for this is their lot. Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God. They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart.
Ecclesiastes 5:18-20

But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today. If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed. Like the nations the Lord destroyed before you, so you will be destroyed for not obeying the Lord your God.
Deuteronomy 8:18-20

“Now, Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” So God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor —so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.”
1 Kings 3:7-9,11-14

Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
Proverbs 3:9-10

A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children, but a sinner’s wealth is stored up for the righteous.
Proverbs 13:22

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:19-21,24,33-34




No comments:

Post a Comment