Wednesday, August 13, 2014

You shall not commit adultery, Exodus 20:14....

You shall not commit adultery, Exodus 20:14.....

The other day in church, the pastor continued with his study of the Ten  Commandments....

I, in my smugness, thought, "well this really pertains to those people who are married. I am a widow now, so I will just sit back and enjoy and no arrows will be pointing at me".....NO....that was not to be....God's word is , "God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 2 Timothy 3:16" and "Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

This was no comfortable sermon....or should not have been to anyone attending...married or unmarried...it spoke to all...

As a widow, my husband is now God himself...my allegiance is to HIm...I have to watch out for "adultery" of the heart.  My husband may be unseen, but He sees all, knows all, understands all....his Spirit dwells within me...He is...I need to be faithful in all ways...

The following are some of the notes of Pastor Randy Myers...

Proverbs 4:23 New Century Version
23 Be careful what you think,
    because your thoughts run your life.

how to be faithful...

-Recommit to God's will....who is in charge of my life??

1 Thessalonians 4:3-7New Living Translation
3 God’s will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin. 4 Then each of you will control his own body and live in holiness and honor— 5 not in lustful passion like the pagans who do not know God and his ways. 6 Never harm or cheat a fellow believer in this matter by violating his wife,for the Lord avenges all such sins, as we have solemnly warned you before. 7 God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives.

-Recognize the seriousness of sin

Proverbs 6:32 English Standard Version
32 He who commits adultery lacks sense;
    he who does it destroys himself.

Unfaithfulness will tear you down...spiritually, emotionally, relationally
   
-Reduce the temptation

Proverbs 2:11New Living Translation
11 Wise choices will watch over you.
    Understanding will keep you safe.

-Refocus your life

Proverbs 23:19New Living Translation
19 My child, listen and be wise:
    Keep your heart on the right course.

Ask God for Help
Be accountable, trust
Cultivate relationship , focus

As a widow, this sermon very much pertains to me as it does to those still In An earthly marriage...other gods draw away, other activities, other lists of life draw me away as well...I yearn to be wise In heart, understanding and relationship with God...I want to hear His voice..and not follow after false things or be tempted away...I want my thoughts to be His, my ways, His...

thank YOU for breaking my barrier of smugness of thinking....breaking into my Mind, heart and soul with Your Words....help me not to commit adultery in our relationship as I know You will not....



No comments:

Post a Comment