Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What's in a name.....

What's in a name.....

For my children and now my grandchildren I have made a framed birth announcement. Using the available craft techniques of the time, each one is totally different,with a different theme as well...

Yesterday, I was working on the newest one for my new grandson, Micheal...I had to look up the meaning, just because ...."humble, gift from God".   When we were naming our children so many years ago, we chose ones that had meanings that we liked and even were part of our family historical names.

Our oldest son's name means like a fox and came from a long ago family man. Our daughters each have family names as well as does our youngest son...but we looked for meanings of names first..."Liberty", "beloved of God", "gift of God"... They continue to exude the meanings in their lives even as they grow older...

My husband's name meant "leader, nobleman", which fit him as a leader in his family and in business..

It was fun finding out various meanings and how those have played out in our lives...

Cultures all over the world have different traditions, some waiting for periods of time to name their children, others taking on family names, animal traits, etc...

In the Bible, there are over 900 references to names, some the names of God and others,the names of people by events, or meanings...

Thank YOU that You know my name,even the number of hairs on my head..that I am important to you...that You sent Your Son for my salvation...You gave his name above all names...

Matthew 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”
"Matthew 1:21 Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the Lord saves."

Genesis 3:20 Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living.

Proverbs 22:1
A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, “It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father’s household.”

Genesis 41:52 The second son he named Ephraim and said, “It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.”

Psalm 8:1 [ Psalm 8 ] [ For the director of music. According to gittith. A psalm of David. ] Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens.

Daniel 12:1 [ The End Times ] “At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.

Revelation 19:13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

Revelation 19:16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: king of kings and lord of lords.

No comments:

Post a Comment