Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Night watches….

 Night watches…


It appears like medications to combat disease seem to work through the night…I am sure they are working around the clock, but I notice them at night, working overtime…there I lay, trying to rest, but my body is not restful…it is working…warring against the disease…so of course my mind is working as well…there are times of prayer , wrestling with  current events, wondering what lessons I am supposed to be learning in this new chapter of life…I know it is not all about me…there are billions  out there who are learning  as well…..


It brought to mind, David, who also was on his bed meditating….on God’s Word…


 when I remember you upon my bed,and meditate on you in the watches of the night for you have been my help,

and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. 

My soul clings to you;your right hand upholds me.

Ps.63.6-8


 With my whole heart I cry; 

answer me, O Lord!

I will keep your statutes. 

I call to you; save me,that I may observe your testimonies. 

I rise before dawn and cry for help;

I hope in your words. 

My eyes are awake before the watches of the night,

that I may meditate on your promise.

Ps.119.145-148


But, I also like the account in Matthew…the disciples had gone ahead of Jesus in the boat…beaten by waves…and Jesus came to them, walking on the water in the night watch…saying, “Don’t be afraid”….followed by, “come” and “why do you doubt?”….

I am afraid at times, I doubt at times, but Jesus still  comes in the night watch…..taking my hand to draw me up out of the storm….


Thank YOU….


 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 

And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. 

When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. 

And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 

But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. 

But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” 

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 

He said, “Come.” 

So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 

But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 

Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 

And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 

And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Matt.14.22-33


Draw me near….


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBXjed7ykA

No comments:

Post a Comment