Friday, May 12, 2023

Days of celebrations…

 Days of celebrations…


The day of Pentecost is “celebration of the wheat harvest, coming 50 days after the offering of the first grain (Lev23:10, 15,16)” in the Jewish realm…


As I read this in Acts this morning, I had to smile…my oldest son, 50 years is celebrating his retirement…his last day at work…

He is my first born, “the first  grain” and now he celebrates his harvest of a job well done…


I know that may be a stretch and totally out of context…it just hit me…


It Acts, the disciples were all together, awaiting the promise of the Holy Spirit…who came and gifted them with languages to go out into the world and proclaim Jesus…first to Jerusalem, then all Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth…


 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Acts.1.4, 8


The Peter spoke to the crowds, those who had gathered to celebrate the Day of Pentecost from every nation under heaven, (Chapter 2)…explaining, declaring Jesus… until he challenged them to believe…


 “With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.”

Acts.2.40-42


A harvest of souls…instead of just wheat…a cause for true celebration…


I thought of Jesus sending out the disciples earlier, two by two…did they remember his words to them on their first journey…the harvest…warning of wolves…they will see harvest and they will meet many “wolves”…on this new journey lead by the Holy Spirit into all the world…


 He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.

Luke.10.2-3


 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Luke.15.10


 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 

You are witnesses of these things. I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”

Luke.24.46-49


 I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;I do not seal my lips, Lord,as you know. 

But may all who seek yourejoice and be glad in you;may those who long for your saving help always say,“The Lord is great!”Ps.40.9, 16


Our periodic celebrations…our new journeys …bring many new lessons, challenges, changes…but we have a Counselor, a Guide, a Friend…a Mediator…a Comforter…a God who gives the Best for us…the same as the Disciples starting out…


Thank YOU…


In Christ Alone…


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgG0Monvd8



No comments:

Post a Comment