Monday, January 25, 2016

The Majestic...

The Majestic.....

The movie, "The Majestic"  played yesterday on TV. The movie, starring Jim Carey, was mostly filmed in a small picturesque town near where I was born and raised for part of my life.  My mother was raised there, married in a nearby town and my parents lived 10 miles away, for 40+ years of their marriage..my relatives and now, my parents, are buried there... 

During the filming, there was a posted schedule of where in the town, they would be filming and what day..my mother purchased  a pot of red tulips and put them in the cemetery on the family plot...so, for a nano second in the movie, you can see her flowers in the cemetery in the background. My mom's contribution to the "film set"....

The movie came out in 2001, fifteen years ago. We went to see it soon after it came out. It was fun to hear about the filming first hand from my parents and read newspaper clippings they would share...a big deal for this small tight knit community.  

Watching the movie again, I recalled watching it before, first with my parents and then with my husband...all are gone...and here I am watching and remembering it alone...with memories of each person, their lives intertwining for all my life with mine...from birth, through growing up and life,  marriage...

It brings to mind another more Majestic...a song we sang, coming from these Psalms....

Psalm 8:1-9 Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory in the heavens. 
Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. 
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars,which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? 
You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. 
You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
you put everything under their feet: all flocks and herds,and the animals of the wild, the birds in the sky, and the fish in the sea,all that swim the paths of the seas.
 Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! 

Psalm 111:1-4 Praise the Lord.
I will extol the Lord with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly.
 Great are the works of the Lord; they are pondered by all who delight in them. 
Glorious and majestic are his deeds,and his righteousness endures forever. He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and compassionate. 

Majestic...a movie remembered...and God whose name encompasses all..thank YOU...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment