Monday, January 16, 2023

Writing obituaries….

 Writing obituaries….


In 2010, I wrote me first obituary, my mother’s…I think I sat at the computer all day, struggling to get a grip….my dad and husband were in the Living room, making suggestions….we were in such shock…

Mom had gone into the hospital for an elective surgery, hoping to feel better…she started feeling better there, was moved from ICU, got an infection from something, had a stroke and died…


I had come over to help her for the whole month of supposed recovery, instead I was writing her obituary…


 A year and half later, I was writing my husband’s…followed by my father’s…


How do you get a person’s life history into a few short paragraphs? Their character, their loves, their personality, their passions, even their testimony, their family….you don’t…but you get as much as possible…


I remember cleaning out my mother in law’s pantry…there in a shoe box was newspaper clippings…cut out obituaries from family, friends, neighbors …years of histories of people long  passed…

We looked through some, kept a few and finally tossed the box…a hard thing to do…these were real people  …


Then, I found  a similar box amongst my father’s belongings… carefully clipped newspaper obituaries…friends, and family members of his…I saved a few for our family information and tossed the others…


Now you can get so much on the web, filling a shoe box of newspaper clippings is unnecessary, but, it still nice to have an original pasted in some family history book…


We can find “obituaries” in scripture…of Biblical patriarchs, famous and infamous people whose lives are written about…over history…their family blessings as they passed on, their personalities, their character, etc…


There are accounts of Christ’s death, his burial and resurrection… but, his story doesn’t end in the back pages of a newspaper…it is recounted in the most sold book in the World… he didn’t end in an obituary hidden in a shoebox…he wasn’t tossed away to be forgotten…no, He lives …and for that we can be grateful, praising a risen Lord, who is the Savior, the Light, the Truth and the Way…


Thank YOU….


 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”

John.11.25-27


 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

1Cor.15:1-7


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWFzMvCfLE


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpbeVFgs4E


death could not hold him….video


https://www.legacy.com/advice/how-to-write-an-obituary/

No comments:

Post a Comment