Friday, September 19, 2014

Music of the past....present....

Stepping back....

I am in Jackson, Wyoming...I haven't been here since 1982  or 1983, my youngest daughter was still in diapers...we had very little money, I brought all of our food with us as well as an electric skillet to cook with in the cheapest rooms we could find...we just knew we wanted to see Yellowstone and the Tetons with our children...I have few pictures of the trip as I left the film on a picnic table near the Grand Canyon area..( I remembered that miles later, with no turning  back)...no extra frills of any kind .....

This time is a little different...no husband, no children...better rooms,  brought some food, traveling with a friend, more people!, trying to take as many pictures as possible (another photo book for my children to throw away someday)...doing side excursions...seeing new sights...

We went to a western dinner and musical program the first night we were here...it was like stepping back into yet another time in my life, childhood....listening to music that my father played on phonograph records....songs that sounded  regularly in our home...Roy Rogers, Sons of the pioneers, Gene Autrey, and many  others...songs I learned to sing as a child, songs he played on his harmonica, whistled as he worked or rode along...tunes long remembered .....echoing the past...

Some of those songs I had downloaded on my IPad to play for him as he lay dying just over a year ago...and I haven't had the courage to take them off...they are still lingering in the air..in the thoughts of my father...happy times, hard times all rolled into one...

Thank YOU for letting us experience times that were good...times that are good....with family and friends...you give us the music of life around us..to hear your heavenly choirs in songs we learn, words we read...Your Word...in the sounds of the creation you gave us to enjoy....

Psalm 7:17 I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

Psalm 9:11 Sing the praises of the Lord, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.

Psalm 13:6 I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.

Psalm 18:49 Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name.

Psalm 30:4 Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people; praise his holy name.

Psalm 30:12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever.

Psalm 96:1-4New International Version (NIV)
1 Sing to the Lord a new song;
    sing to the Lord, all the earth.
2 Sing to the Lord, praise his name;
    proclaim his salvation day after day.
3 Declare his glory among the nations,
    his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
4 For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
    he is to be feared above all gods.




No comments:

Post a Comment