Friday, June 6, 2014

Icons....crosses...

Icons.....crosses....

I was reading a book about an Russian girl who was raised in the Russian Orthodox Church.  She immigrated to the US. She always carried her Russian Bible and a small icon with her...it was the first thing she hung when she settled into the US....when asked about it, she responded that it reminded her to pray, not to idolize...

Recently, I visited a Russian Orthodox Church in Sitka, Alaska...icons everywhere....the walls were filled with them...something I am not used to in churches I attend. We have an empty cross....
their cross has three cross beams instead of one...each having a specific meaning...
The top shorter, reminding us that the Romans put the sign above Jesus.....JESUS of NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS, written in  Hebrew, Greek and Latin, john 19:19-21
The second cross beam where Jesus' hands were nailed...
And the third lower, shorter, angled crossbeam, where his feet were nailed. Reminding us that he may have pushed up with his feet to get a breath of air...agonizingly...creating an angled beam by his weight pushing up....

I liked the imagery of their cross...the reminders....not sure about the icons....too gaudy for my taste...but for others raised in that denomination....they have that choice...

The bottom line for us all is what we do, believe about Christ...who was He and what is the answer to that question and what am I going to do about it...we each have a choice in this world...time....that we have to come to face...do we believe He is who he says He is or reject that thought/belief....

Do we believe what He says, I am the way, the truth and the light....the true vine, the Lamb  of God, .....the Bible as the Word of God...the Triune God......no one comes to the Father, but by me... I am the bread of life...and many more...

The Bible
John...

These are the ultimate questions...how we answer, makes all the difference in how we spend eternity...how we choose to live life in the here and now...the icons are good reminders, but that is all they are...

thank YOU for your Word, your Reminders all around, pointing us to You....the Author and finisher of our faith .....




"June 6

Seek My Face, and you will find fulfillment of your deepest longings. My world is filled with beautiful things; they are meant to be pointers to Me, reminders of My abiding Presence. The earth still declares My Glory to those who have eyes that see and ears that hear.

You had a darkened mind before you sought Me wholeheartedly. I chose to pour My Light into you, so that you can be a beacon to others. There is no room for pride in this position. Your part is to reflect My Glory. I am the Lord!

Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
—Psalm 105:4

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.
—Psalm 19:1–2

See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you.
—Isaiah 60:2

No comments:

Post a Comment