Sunday, June 15, 2014

A harmonica "hello"

A harmonica "hello"....

I went to church last night for a change....one of the song leader's father joined  the song worship time, playing a harmonica...one of those ambush moments...he was visiting his daughter for Father's Day weekend....

My father played the harmonica. He would get it out and play  on special occasions all of my life. He was self taught, but played well...and for  his funeral last year, I was able to find a man who played the harmonica for special music,,,it was almost our undoing, emotionally...we missed dad, grandpa..... his music in our lives...

The pastor went on to give the sermon on "the importance of dads".....His notes ,"every child needs a dad's touch, time, training, testimony .....

Touch- Jesus touched so much...a fathers touch is so important, acceptance, care, love,

Mark 10:13a One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them.

Time-time spent with his children ,their importance to him....care for their lives...

Ecc. 3:1 A Time for Everything
3 For everything there is a season,
    a time for every activity under heaven.

Ephesians 5:15-17 Living by the Spirit’s Power
15 So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. 16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.

Training -fathers are to spend time and train their children...

Eph 6:4 Fathers,.......bring  up your children in the training and instruction of the Lord.

Deut. 6:6-7 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Testimony-truthful, honesty, consistency, life's lessons....

Proverbs 20:7
New King James Version (NKJV)
7 The righteous man walks in his integrity;
His children are blessed after him.

Proverbs 14:26
Living Bible (TLB)
26 Reverence for God gives a man deep strength; his children have a place of refuge and security.

Joshua 24:15
New Living Translation (NLT)
.......... then choose today whom you will serve. ....... But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”
By Pastor Randy Meyers, New Hope Church

I so appreciated the pastor's talk...my father was not afraid of touching in affection, he spent time with his family, he loved mentoring all of his life, helping others and he was a man of integrity ...he taught me to value and look for the same things in a spouse and I did...he loved my mother .....and he loved me...

When my husband was having his last surgery, my father drove to join us, saying, "a daughter needs her dad". It was a hard time and I loved having him there to help me and his grandchildren to find out the hard news as we all cried together...

But, the harmonica music was like a gentle "hello" from dad, grandpa....our first Father's Day without him....thank YOU, God for the gift....only You could have orchestrated that...


No comments:

Post a Comment