Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Writing obituaries....

Writing obituaries.....

What a morbid topic....in a sense, but in another, not so much .....

Several years ago my mother had a stroke, from which she recovered.  While  I was taking care of her, I decided to broach, again the subject of estate planning with my parents.  I knew they had a plan, but up until that time, they hadn't shared it, thinking we already knew it.  I had not idea where any of their papers were, insurance policies, anything....my dad had a cardboard and small wooden box filing system, stashed in his closet...even my mom didn't know his system...

I was not there to hasten their demise, but wanted to know their wishes...I didn't want to talk about death either...that meant I had to face their and my mortality...but I also knew I had to face it...it was like God saying ,"this needs to be addressed"... So I listened, grudgingly...and went forward...

My dad and I went through all of his various papers, boxes.  I put together a binder for him and myself telling about bank accounts, car insurances, lawyer, accountants, properties, with names and addresses of pertinent people...he even had a drawing of their gravestone hidden away, drawn on a yellowed piece of paper...

Then at the end, I wrote funeral wishes, favorite songs, favorite Bible passages, groups they supported in life and maybe in death...survivors.....not questions I wanted to ask, but I did it anyway...with the help of a obituary guide and it's questions....

When  I left after mom's recovery, I had a peace about them and their affairs that I hadn't for several years.  I hadn't wanted to face the hard questions. We may all assume we will live forever, but we don't...but, it was also an opportunity to fill in family stories, hear again about what they went through with their parents, connect on hard subjects...

A couple of years later, when my mother passed away unexpectedly, these binders were invaluable to both my dad and myself...I had to use those last pages for information to write her obituary...

Then less than two years later, I was writing my husband's obituary, followed by my father's...

I thank God for His persistence, He is the author of order, not confusion...the peace giver, the comforter....when facing tough tasks...

Two verses came to mind when thinking this through...

Exodus 20:12
“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

John 21:25
Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Not that either my parents, or husband did so much as Jesus, but that
God helps you write the words about them....

Thank YOU....God..for your prodding, help in times of turmoil, peace in obedience...




http://obituaryguide.com


http://obituaryguide.com/template.php

No comments:

Post a Comment