Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bread..again....

Bread, again....

I recently took a Indian curry class. We made this wonderful Indian curry accompanied by the bread from that region of India...using a certain strain of wheat grown in India...

previously, I had also taken a salsa and tortilla class as well and gluten free breads, and crackers...

It always strikes me that no matter where you are in the world, there is a type of bread from that region...it may be leavened , unleavened, flat, puffed, used as a utensil, rolled around the food, smeared with some kind of paste/fat, hard, soft, whole grain, fine grain, dessert, appetizer, the main course, purple, black, brown,white, sweet, sour, dry, moist,  but bread none the less...and it may not look like what we buy from our American grocery store shelves...

There really is a bread that sustains physical life and spiritual life....
God, in his Word, uses bread throughout as a sustainer of life, as a basis of life , the
Giver of life...hospitality, and finally a picture of the broken body of Christ to be eaten in remembrance of His death until He comes again ....welcoming us to the Wedding feast, where, He will probably serve bread again...

Bread is a universal picture, a universal food, for all cultures to recognize the true Bread of Life, the basis for existence....

Thank You for Your reminder, again, of the true Bread of life, no matter the culture, no matter the place on the Globe, You are there, reaching people with Your bread of life...

Genesis 45:23
And this is what he sent to his father: ten donkeys loaded with the best things of Egypt, and ten female donkeys loaded with grain and bread and other provisions for his journey.

Isaiah 55:9-11
New International Version (NIV)
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Matthew 6:11
Give us today our daily bread.

John 6:51-59
New International Version (NIV)
51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

No comments:

Post a Comment