Saturday, March 4, 2023

Did Martha have a Pharisees’ attitude? Do I?

 Did Martha have a Pharisees’ attitude? Do I?


 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. 

And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 

And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 

But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? 

Tell her then to help me.” 

But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. 

Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

Luke.10.38-42


 While Jesus was speaking, a Pharisee asked him to dine with him, so he went in and reclined at table. 

The Pharisee was astonished to see that he did not first wash before dinner. 

And the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 

You fools! 

Did not he who made the outside make the inside also? 

But give as alms those things that are within, and behold, everything is clean for you.

Luke.11.37-41

Luke 11:42-52, woes to the “experts of the law”


Wow…legalism crops up,again… Martha…Mary…Pharisees….experts of the Law…the outside…the inside…heart attitude…


These passages can be soooo convicting…is my heart attitude that of Martha or Mary? The rule followers…the experts of the Law?


Am I constantly cleaning up the “outside” so that I look good? Do I put down those who follow Jesus’ heart?  Am I working my way to heaven, following manmade rules rather than looking to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith? Hard hearted versus softened toward the gospel?

Do rules supersede the Over-powering redemptive Love of Jesus?

Am I always busy preparing? Am I too busy to listen?


 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

1Cor.11:28-32


 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

2Cor.13.5


 Create in me a clean heart, O God,and renew a right spirit within me.

Ps.51.10


 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Jas.4.8,10


thank YOU…


Create in me a clean heart…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFe4r3qe1x0

No comments:

Post a Comment