Sunday, January 14, 2024

Snow in the forecast….



 Snow in the forecast…


I shoveled snow three times yesterday….it was like shoveling salt, so fine and powdery…

And from the looks of it outside through the night, I will be shoveling it again today…


I don’t usually associate snow with Israel, but they do have it especially in the northern mountains and there are areas in those mountains that have snow year around…


In the Bible, snow is mentioned 24 times, mostly as comparisons and descriptions …”white as snow”…


Leprosy for Miriam and Naaman, Gehazi was described as their skin being white as snow…


 When the cloud removed from over the tent, behold, Miriam was leprous, like snow. And Aaron turned toward Miriam, and behold, she was leprous.

Num.12.10


 Therefore the leprosy of Naaman shall cling to you and to your descendants forever.” So he went out from his presence a leper, like snow.

2Kgs.5.27


Job has several places where snow is mentioned about the God’s storehouse of snow…


 “Have you entered the storehouses of the snow,or have you seen the storehouses of the hail,

Job.38.22


David talks of purging, cleansing from sin after being confronted about his adultery with Bathsheba….


 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,and cleanse me from my sin! 

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 

Hide your face from my sins,and blot out all my iniquities. 

Create in me a clean heart, O God,and renew a right spirit within me. 

Restore to me the joy of your salvation,and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Ps.51.2,Ps.51.7,Ps.51.9,Ps.51.10,Ps.51.12


Comparisons…


 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver. 

Like a gold ring or an ornament of gold-is a wise reprover to a listening ear. 

Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him;he refreshes the soul of his masters.

Prov.25.11-13


 Like snow in summer or rain in harvest,so honor is not fitting for a fool.

Prov.26.1


Promises…


 “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:though your sins are like scarlet,they shall be as white as snow;though they are red like crimson,they shall become like wool.

Isa.1.18


 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men. But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay.

Matt.28.3-6


 Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Rev.1.12-18


Descriptions…


 “As I looked,thrones were placed,and the Ancient of Days took his seat;his clothing was white as snow,and the hair of his head like pure wool;his throne was fiery flames;its wheels were burning fire.

Dan.7.9


There  are more, but for the sake of lengthiness…I will leave them to look up…


But, I love the descriptions….the Ancient of Days, the son of man, the living one…in all of his Glory…the purity, the cleansing…it give good thoughts to meditate upon as I shovel, shovel, shovel…


Thank YOU…


Whiter than snow…


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYM9BSf41iM


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_in_Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment