Thursday, December 8, 2022

Psalm 143…I am your servant…

 Psalm 143…I am your servant…


Reading this, I had to look up servants, who were called servants…

From Genesis to Revelations…many were called servants…craftsman, boats builders, nation leaders, handmaidens, workers in the kingdom…none perfect except Jesus…people we could meet on the street, pass by in a store, find in the nursery or listening to verses at Awanas, cleaning the bathrooms , or behind the pulpit, typing the church bulletin, holding the hand of a sick one, cooking a meal to share, working with teens, filling a box for children, coaching a soccer team, listening to a neighbor, flying a plane, leading a Bible study….building house, protecting our lives, fighting our fires….the list goes on…


What makes a servant…this was my answer in the dark of the night…


 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Col.3.17,Col.3.23-34


Thank YOU….


Moses is spoken of many times as God’s servant…

Just as the Lord had commanded Moses his servant, so Moses commanded Joshua, and so Joshua did. He left nothing undone of all that the Lord had commanded Moses.

Josh.11.15


Caleb is spoken of as God’s servant as well….

But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed me fully, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it.

Num.14.24


Nehemiah…

 Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the peoples, O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants who delight to fear your name, and give success to your servant today, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man.”

Now I was cupbearer to the king.

Neh.1.8, 11


Job…

And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” 

And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.”

Job.1.8,Job.2.3


David…in this Pslam as well as others…

In this psalm, David ends with, “I am your servant”…


Solomon spoke of servant several times…contrasts and comparisons….

A servant who deals wisely has the king's favor,but his wrath falls on one who acts shamefully.

Prov.14.35


Israel, Jesus…

Behold my servant, whom I uphold,my chosen, in whom my soul delights;I have put my Spirit upon him;he will bring forth justice to the nations…

Isa.42.1


 This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: “Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased.I will put my Spirit upon him,and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

Matt.12.17-18


 The greatest among you shall be your servant.

Matt.23.11


 “Then fear not, O Jacob my servant, declares the Lord,nor be dismayed, O Israel;for behold, I will save you from far away,and your offspring from the land of their captivity.Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease,and none shall make him afraid. But they shall serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them.

Jer.30:9-10


Even Nebuchadnezzar…

behold, I will send for all the tribes of the north, declares the Lord, and for Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant, and I will bring them against this land and its inhabitants, and against all these surrounding nations. I will devote them to destruction, and make them a horror, a hissing, and an everlasting desolation.

Jer.25.9


Mary… 

And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

Luke.1.38


Jude, Paul, Titus, Tychicus, Epaphras…and more…all called servants..


 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes.

 Matt.24.45-46


 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant! Because you have been faithful in a very little, you shall have authority over ten cities.’

Luke.19:17

No comments:

Post a Comment