Sunday, December 26, 2021

Unopened presents…

 


Unopened presents…


I have to admit I didn’t get to some of my Christmas presents yesterday…they lay unopened beneath my tree…I was gone from home off and on all day, and when I was home, I was getting ready for the next event and then tired at the end of the day…

But, mostly I wanted to extend Christmas…I wanted to focus on what each gift will be and write a card of thanks for each one as I go…


I have a wonderful family and friends who give good gifts and I want to savor each one…I have never been the “rip and tear” gift opener, loving more to watch others open their gifts to see their joy and exuberance…and have had to be reminded to open mine through all of the excitement…not that I don’t like gifts, I love gifting more…not that I don’t appreciate gifts, I do…


I think of those three gifts the wisemen brought to give the child Jesus long ago…they were chosen with care…did the wisemen watch in anticipation as they were opened? …did they smile and exclaim as they worshipped?…how did Mary and Joseph receive each gift? Wonder at an odd assortment of things?…did they thank them profusely?


Wandering back in scriptures to Abraham’s servant sent to find a wife for Isaac , he took camels laden with gifts…


Then the servant took ten of his master's camels and departed, taking all sorts of choice gifts from his master; and he arose and went to Mesopotamia to the city of Nahor. When Abraham's servant heard their words, he bowed himself to the earth before the Lord. 

And the servant brought out jewelry of silver and of gold, and garments, and gave them to Rebekah. 

He also gave to her brother and to her mother costly ornaments.

Genesis 24:10,52-53 


Or the Queen of Sheba coming to see Solomon…


Now when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the Lord, she came to test him with hard questions. 

She came to Jerusalem with a very great retinue, with camels bearing spices and very much gold and precious stones. And when she came to Solomon, she told him all that was on her mind. 

Then she gave the king 120 talents of gold, and a very great quantity of spices and precious stones. 

Never again came such an abundance of spices as these that the queen of Sheba gave to King Solomon.

1 Kings 10:1-2,10 


Gifts given…to pay tribute ….as a dowry and to acknowledge greatness, royalty…

Mary and Joseph received those gifts that long ago day on behalf of the Savior born both to be king and bridegroom …the gifts were useful in their flight to Egypt to avoid death, to help in their lives at a particular trying time…known beforehand, given before they even knew what lay ahead…


We have unopened gifts in each day…maybe not wrapped in gift bags, ribbons or wrapping paper…but, known beforehand and given by a loving Father…probably not brought on camels or wisemen…gifts that we need to acknowledge with thankfulness…knowing that they were especially prepared for us…


Thank YOU…


 This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 118:24 


Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!

2 Corinthians 9:15


 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

James 1:17








The Joy of Christmas Is Far from Over - Topical Studies

The Joy of Christmas Is Far from Over


No comments:

Post a Comment