Friday, December 3, 2021

Songs of the heart…

 https://youtu.be/ifCWN5pJGIE


Songs of the heart….


My mom would stand/sit in the wood shed as a child and sing or direct the make-believe  choir or orchestra. She sang in choirs her growing years and on into college…so it was no wonder that music was part of my childhood as well…my dad played the harmonica well…at Christmas time we had family sing-alongs with every gathering…

Mom led choirs in the churches we attended, it was just part of life…I remember the first song we sang together, “Jesus Loves me” in front of a small town church in Lemon Cove, California…there we sang the doxology every week…there I found my all time favorite, “Holy, Holy, Holy”….(I walked down the aisle on  my wedding day to this song)…


I carried on with singing as well through school and beyond…choirs, worships groups, solo work…and when I finally had to quit because of continual esophagitis, it was a huge loss along with others at the time(my mom and dad both being treated for cancer, church split, etc)…and as I have said in past blogs, “songs in the night” kept me moving forward as my husband was dying…God  would recall to mind songs that spoke to my heart each day…


music still speaks to my soul…I see my grandchildren love music now as well as my children…a variety of styles, genres…but speaking to their souls as well…I am so glad when I listen to each of their favorites, the messages that speak to their hearts…


Christmas brings out the nostalgia of music…the songs of Christ’s birth…even the secular ones of family or fun times…the radio or tv dedicate channels to Christmastime…


Scripture has songs from the beginning to the end…


The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Exodus 15:2 


The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.

Psalm 118:14


The song of Mary…

And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. 

For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. 

He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; 

he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 

He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”

Luke 1:46-55


And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, “Great and amazing are your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations!

Revelation 15:3


Thank YOU…


Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

Colossians 3:16


Thank YOU…



No comments:

Post a Comment