Sunday, August 7, 2016

The grass is greener...

The grass is greener...

My oldest daughter and family just put in new grass this spring and summer. It is growing well in a dry place.  The cows  are theoretically fenced out in their own  pasture which doesn't look quite so green.

I caught this picture of one steer looking longingly at the new greens, seemingly wondering how to taste the fresh grass...

It really embodies the saying, "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.."


I have known lots of people over the years who "church hopped", "town hopped", "house hopped" looking for various new venues, whether it be different preaching styles, bigger and better, more amenities, more comfortable chairs, better youth groups, different leadership, even better buildings or landscaping...each with their own merit. Nothing is inherently wrong with hopping unless it is due to lack of contentment...there is spiritual discontent or physical discontent or whatever...

The steer was looking for more moist, green, tender grass on the other side of the fence, even though he had that on his side of the fence...eyeing it with   Covetous  eyes..."greener grass"= better food...

Just like we may look covetously to other greener "pastures" as well meaning "I will be more content with something else"...I have been there many times over many things...my discontent keeping my attitude in poor shape and not listening for the lessons I should be learning in my life...greener pastures are not necessarily really greener...

Thank YOU that you can even let animals teach lessons for the soul....

Ecclesiastes 4:8 There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. “For whom am I toiling,” he asked, “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?” This too is meaningless— a miserable business!

Philippians 4:11-12 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

No comments:

Post a Comment