Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Old recipes....

Old recipes....

I went to a potluck luncheon recently. The theme was family or nationality recipes. We definitely showed our European backgrounds, Danish, German, Norwegian, Scottish, Irish, with the dishes dishes that were presented ....
Sauerkraut, potatoes, cabbage, kale, ham, onions... Those cooler weather plants found in Europe.   Other dishes were represented old recipes that we had growing up...lots of jello as well as purchased veggie trays for those who don't really like cooking anymore or simple pickups to which we have become accustomed......the conversations around the food was "where are our ancestors from", "favorite dishes we had growing up", "not cooking like we used to", "not enjoying cooking like we used to" and "cooking for one is not fun"...   

I totally enjoy cooking for my family when I get a chance. I miss the family gathered around the table talking, gathering news from the day, enjoying each person's stories, their smiles, their words, the ambiance of family...when I am dining alone standing at the sink or counter...it just isn't the same...how quickly that time flew when I look back...I realize I didn't cherish it enough...as it fades into the past...

I have my mother in law's recipes, as well as my mother's...of course they are high calorie, full of fat...but made with much love and care... Most made from "scratch" not the multitude of boxes we find in our cupboards now...filled with memories of kitchen fun...

One of my first gifts from my husband was a recipe book on one pot dinners...he loved stews, soups ...and I used that book a lot as I added fresh raw foods from my background...

Fellowship around the family table is part of life for many, breaking bread with visitors...it has been going on for eons of time...thank YOU for the gift of old recipes and family You have given me...


Genesis 19:3 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. 

Genesis 26:30-31 Isaac then made a feast for them, and they ate and drank. Early the next morning the men swore an oath to each other. Then Isaac sent them on their way, and they went away peacefully. 

Genesis 43:16 When Joseph saw Benjamin with them, he said to the steward of his house, “Take these men to my house, slaughter an animal and prepare a meal; they are to eat with me at noon.” 

Psalm 23:5a You prepare a table before me....

Matthew 26:17-19 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to make preparations for you to eat the Passover?” 
He replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’” 
So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover. 

Acts 16:34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household. 

No comments:

Post a Comment