Friday, April 8, 2016

Obsession...

..Obsessions....

What are my obsessions?
This is a hard core reality check...

In her study of Hosea, Jennifer Rothschild*, basically asks this  question to her  readers...
What do we "desire, dwell on, defend, dedicate, deny and depend"???

Whoa, I don't want to answer those questions...then truth sets in, God whispers, "let's examine these, bring these to the light of day...where am I in this picture?.."

What activities, thoughts, actions do I do that place themselves higher than God in my life???

Each person will have a different answer and each person will have an answer when digging deep enough...we are not perfect by any means and God will help us dig deep...He want truthfulness in our lives as well,  and we/I need to lay them out...hand them over to the REAL God...

We may laugh at the idols, handmade, covered with gold or whatever of others, enshrined,  but I have some as well... Not something I sit on a shrine for others to see but, something that is just as worshipped in my life ...something I desire; I dwell on; something I defend; something I dedicate time, resources to; something I deny or depend upon....reality check...who or what takes my time away from the things God has planned...my way...

Exodus 34:17 “Do not make any idols. 

Leviticus 19:4 “‘Do not turn to idols or make metal gods for yourselves. I am the Lord your God. 

1 Samuel 12:21, 24 Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. 
But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you. 

Psalm 106:36 They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them. 

Isaiah 42:8 “I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols. 

Jonah 2:8 “Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. 

1 John 5:21 Dear children, keep yourselves from idols. 

Thank You, Jennifer,  for your truth seeking, your admonishment ....your sharing with your lessons...

thank YOU, Father, for wanting to be so involved in my life, truth giving, convicting, through Your Word and Spirit ...help me to dig deep, examine and eliminate the idols which I hide away, worship and ignore in the light of day...

*Hosea, by Jennifer Rothschild, Lifeway Press, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment