Sunday, December 20, 2015

Collector spoons......


 Collector spoons...

Recently, I stayed with my youngest daughter and her husband.  Their guest room houses several mementoes from her grandmother's, my mother..paintings, art objects and collectable spoons.  There are 108 spoons...collected over a span of 80 years...and added to them are my daughter's collection of spoons which she collected as she was growing up...
So many memories ..from the Fiji islands to Iceland to Mickey Mouse to Mt. St. Helens...some have unique designs for the area collected while others are "cookie cutter" pieces that just have a name and look like a dozen others ...

One of my sons collected patches from places that he travelled, while my husband collected hat pins or mugs...my grandchildren collect the hat pins as well or walking stick miniature plaques..

I had a collection of ceramic birthday dolls and stamps...the dolls all broke with drop of a box and the stamps all collected mud dobber  mud, so ruined...

As I look at each collection, they are so important to the person who has collected them and bring back wonderful memories of the times collecting them, but have no eternal value whatsoever.... But they bring  joy for the moment or that person's lifetime ...and maybe one more generation...and then they loose their sentimental value...and are finally stored away...for another time and another generation...

Treasures....what treasures do we want to collect?  Where do we want to store them...God is gracious and desires that we enjoy life and I don't think He begrudges our collections of spoons or other memorabilia.  Just so it doesn't overshadow our relationship with Him or others...

Collections pass away with time like my ceramic dolls, But God never passes away...He is always there..not be be forgotten in a box or storage unit..

Thank YOU for being my treasure...help me to have right perspective about "stuff" versus the people around me and YOU as my treasure ...

Matthew 6:19-21, 33 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment