Monday, March 9, 2015

Mentoring....

Mentoring....

There was an interesting article in this weekend's newspaper about older female whales. They live longer than the male whales and have been studied over the years.  They no longer bear babies, but are still part of a pod having a distinct purpose to carry out....they teach the younger ones how to survive and live...
They stop reproducing at about 50 years old and can live until they are 90....
Now I know we are not related to whales, nor do I want to be compared to one (although when on a cruise I feel like one when beached along the pool), I just found this article interesting....mentoring.....with purpose....teaching others...

When I look around the church I fellowship with, there are a lot of single older women like me....statically we outnumber the men 6:1...what are we doing?...what are we supposed to be doing?  

In the books of Titus and 1Timothy, I find a  short list of what I should be doing...
-be reverent in my living
-teach what is good
-not to slander
-not to be addicted to much wine
-urge or encourage younger women to love their husbands and children
-to be self controlled 
-to be pure 
-to be busy at home
-to be kind
-to be subject to their husbands, faithful
-doing good deeds
-show hospitality
-caring for the Lord's people
-helping those in trouble
All for the purpose of not tearing down God's Word...bring glory to Him in all that we do...

I needed this article about whales....I needed to be reminded that I still have a purpose in this season of life...I may still have many years ahead of me or not, but they need to be purposeful times, not feeling sorry for myself times...looking outward, not pulling inward...doing and being for the Kingdom, not myself.....mentoring if needed...encouraging, not tearing down, slandering...welcoming if needed....caring, not maligning....

Thank YOU...again and again....You have given purpose for each season of our lives..help me follow and fulfill....by Your Word dwelling richly in my life...

Titus 2:3-5 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. 

1 Timothy 5:9-10 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband, and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord’s people, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds. 

Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. 





No comments:

Post a Comment