Monday, November 3, 2014

There will be storms....

There will be storms.... Who is in the boat with me? Mark 4: 35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.”36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” 39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. 40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” 41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!” In church yesterday, we went over this preceding passage again...I have a list of dates next to this portion of when I have heard it preached and/or I have read through it deriving comfort in the storms of life..... We each have the free will to choose with whom we want ride through the storms of life....Jesus or not...I am not getting to pre-destination or not....I know that God desires that none should perish... Anyway, when Jesus spoke, he didn't say anything about not making it to the other side, he just said, "let us go to the other side". No what ifs...or by the way, there will be a storm or not...and then he slept....he was totally comfortable...as they moved through the waters, calm or not...at peace.... But the disciples, being as human as me, wondered, "teacher, don't you care if we drown?" There is a storm out there, and You are sleeping...we are panicking, afraid, nearly drowning....don't You care?.....life's trials are over powering me...don't You care? He calmly rises and rebukes...in their panicking, in their questioning...after seeing the miracles before... Do I panic at each storm that I encounter? Do I try to row against the waves, do I call out to Jesus....am I relying on my own strength or Jesus' calming comfort? Where is my faith? In the everyday... in life...in the sea...in the storms ..... Do I hear Jesus say...lets go to the other side.....knowing all the while he is there with me? Remembering the day to day care of my husband on our cancer ride in the boat....Jesus was with us every step of the way...I tried not to panic...even when I felt like I was drowning....He was with there, calming in the deep waters...lifting us up, while we "rowed" to the other side....sending friends, family, strangers....to help us row through the furious storm waves ....He sent laughter, joy, with the tears...peace in the panic, His Words in the night's darkness... Thank YOU....for riding out that storm...with us....calming the waves...not letting us drown ....help me in each storm to be faithful.... Isaiah 43:2a When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you..... [ Psalm 69 :1] [ For the director of music. To the tune of “Lilies.” Of David. ] Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. Psalm 69:2I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. Psalm 69:14Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment