Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Profanity....

I was raised in a home that had very little profanity...one of my grandfathers used some but not much....we raised our children with very little as well...
I can remember the first time I tried it out, about 11 years of age, riding a horse following my grandfather through hills in central California, gathering cattle.  It was one of those moments in time that was profound to me...I tried out a curse word....I felt dirty all over and that was that...a decision maker time...this was not to be part my language or part of me...

Many years have gone by since then, I can still picture the horse, the hill, the feeling.....in that time it seems that the world has gone the other way...it is nothing to hear God's  name spoken in vain wherever one goes, whatever one watches, listens to..reads...people don't curse the devil, they curse God...the one who desires above all to save them, to love them....

When I hear cursing, it feels like arrows piercing my soul, just as it did when I tried it out so many years ago...what it must do God to hear a world of it...

Ephesians 5:4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 

In the Old Testament times, cursing God was not to be taken lightly...
Leviticus 24:13-16 Then the Lord said to Moses: “Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who curses their God will be held responsible; anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death. 

Psalm 59:12-13 For the sins of their mouths,for the words of their lips,let them be caught in their pride.For the curses and lies they utter, consume them in your wrath,consume them till they are no more.Then it will be known to the ends of the earth that God rules over Jacob. 

Job 2:9-10 His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!” He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”In all this, Job did not sin in what he said. 

James 3:9-12 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water. 

Lord, help me with my mouth and attitude not to profane You, but give thanks instead...the lover of my soul....
 


November 25
Thank Me frequently as you journey through today. This practice makes it possible to pray without ceasing, as the apostle Paul taught. If you are serious about learning to pray continually, the best approach is to thank Me in every situation. These thankful prayers provide a solid foundation on which you can build all your other prayers. Moreover, a grateful attitude makes it easier for you to communicate with Me.
When your mind is occupied with thanking Me, you have no time for worrying or complaining. If you practice thankfulness consistently, negative thought patterns will gradually grow weaker and weaker. Draw near to Me with a grateful heart, and My Presence will fill you with Joy and Peace.
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
—1 Thessalonians 5:16–18 kjv

Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
—James 4:8

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
—Romans 15:13

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment