Thursday, March 7, 2024

Sheep, sheep and more sheep…

 Sheep, sheep and more sheep….


Yesterday part of the sheep made it through Caldwell…
I sat watching their  quiet trek in the chilly morning…amazing to see so many…”they started from Melba on March 1st and the come through Caldwell then Emmett, the Midvale, then McCall, where they summer, in the fall they come back in reverse …to Melba where they winter.”

One of my grandfathers raised sheep, my dad started out with sheep, my husband raised sheep, we had sheep for awhile…
I remember  helping my grandfather with a cousin or two getting down into the huge burlap bags stomping the fleeces down tightly during and after stirring the sheep…the smell of lanolin permeating the building and us..

The first time sheep are recalling mentioned was in Genesis,
“Abel was a keeper of sheep…”
And they are all the way throughout the Bible until the book of Revelations…
  For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,and he will guide them to springs of living water,and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”
Rev.7.17

Moses married a shepherdess, Rachel was a shepherdess…
David was a shepherd as was Abraham, Job, Moses…and many other Biblical men…


Sheep were an integral part of the worship ….


Some favorites…not in any particular order…and by no means all of the references…

 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 
To him the gatekeeper opens. 
The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
 When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 
So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. I am the good shepherd. 
The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 
I am the good shepherd.
 I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John.10.2-4,7,11,14-15

 Know that the Lord, he is God!It is he who made us, and we are his;we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Ps.100.3

 All we like sheep have gone astray;we have turned—every one—to his own way;and the Lord has laid on himthe iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,yet he opened not his mouth;like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,so he opened not his mouth.
Isa.53.6-7

Matthew 18
John 21

 Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Heb.13.20-21

Shepherds…
A question I ask of people when going to a new church…”is this pastor a good shepherd?”…
 shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
1Pet.5.2-4

Luke 2:8-20
Micah 5
Psalm 23
 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.     
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.     
He restores my soul.He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me-all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Lamb….

 Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” So they went both of them together.
Gen.22.8

 and he looked at Jesus as he walked by and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!”
John.1.36

 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
1Cor.5.7

 saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain,to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and  honor and glory and blessing!”
Rev.5.12

Thank YOU…

Come let us worship and bow down…



Some fun facts…
Sheep have rectangular pupils which means they can see almost everything around them without turning their heads.
There are 1000 breeds of sheep.
Sheep are actually clever animals. They can recognize up to 50 other sheep faces up to 2 years and even recognize human faces!
One way sheep communicate with each other and their surroundings is through scent. Sheep have scent glands in front of their eyes and between the digits of their hooves.”


MY husband with his first sheep…
3 scenes from Israel…
sheep shearing in Dunedin, New Zealand..
The sheep coming through Caldwell….






















No comments:

Post a Comment