Sunday, October 28, 2018

Exalted...?

Exalted....?

http://mvotd.com/mobile/watch.php?vid=d32720a09

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
Luke 18:9-14

How humbling....I watched the video referenced above...after reading today's scripture selection...how humbling...

How would the church I attend do in this situation?   How do I do?  My fears rise when I pass someone on the street ....but, it is not just the homeless person, it is the neighbor next door, the teen selling fruit for their team, the Salvation Army red bucket soon to appear, the woman holding a sign at the stop light, the pregnant young girl, the abused child, the countless pieces of mail arriving daily asking for funds with sad pictures attached....the world outside my sheltered life...

Am I the Pharisee, thanking God that I am not like those "others" or the tax collector, "standing at a distance", humbled in the very presence of the Almighty God, asking for mercy...? Do I exalt myself in front of others or am I humbled ?  Are your plans, my plans or do I rush into life ahead what you desire, basically saying, " come on God, follow me"? What is my heart attitude, really deep in my soul???

Thank YOU for the check in my spirit...the reminder to come into your presence only acknowledging You...exalting You...Your grace is sufficient ...

No comments:

Post a Comment