Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Stiff-necked…

 Stiff-necked…


It feels like I have been in physical therapy forever some days…
I think I only have 5 more sessions… in some ways I will miss it, but in other ways, not so much…they challenge me to work harder, bend more, move more…but sometimes it is pure torture that is actually good for me…
This week I did something new that actually put out my back and neck…not a good experience…so I have been stiff-necked and moving carefully…

But, it was a reminder of several verses that God calls out people for being  stiff-necked…and it wasn’t a good thing…

Four of the times were in Exodus…

 And the Lord said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and behold, it is a stiff-necked people. 
Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey; but I will not go up among you, lest I consume you on the way, for you are a stiff-necked people.”
 For the Lord had said to Moses, “Say to the people of Israel, ‘You are a stiff-necked people; if for a single moment I should go up among you, I would consume you. So now take off your ornaments, that I may know what to do with you.’” 
And he said, “If now I have found favor in your sight, O Lord, please let the Lord go in the midst of us, for it is a stiff-necked people, and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for your inheritance.”
Exod.32.9,Exod.33.3,5,Exod.34.9

Another in 2 Chronicles…referring to the verses above…

 Do not now be stiff-necked as your fathers were, but yield yourselves to the Lord and come to his sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever, and serve the Lord your God, that his fierce anger may turn away from you. For if you return to the Lord, your brothers and your children will find compassion with their captors and return to this land. For the Lord your God is gracious and merciful and will not turn away his face from you, if you return to him.”
2Chr.30.8-9

And lastly…Stephen calling out the people elders, scribes and priests among the people…

 “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you. Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered, you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it.”
Acts.7.51-53

Physically, having a stiff neck hurts…and you almost have to turn your whole body just to look another way…but, it has no eternal ramifications…

But, these, called ones as being “stiff-necked”, it definitely was not a compliment…by definition it means stubborn, arrogant, haughty, a people not responsive to the leading of God…wow…this is not where we want to be…

And just as I can have my back and neck worked in for better mobility, There is restoration, though, forgiveness when we seek Him…when we respond to His leading …..

 He restores my soul.He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Ps.23.3

 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,and uphold me with a willing spirit.
Ps.51.12

My takeaway….am I being stubborn, stiffed-necked about something?

Thank YOU….

Restore to me…




Merriam Webster 

No comments:

Post a Comment