Sunday, April 2, 2023

Lead you…

 



Lead you….


Verses 18 and 19 of John 21 have been on my mind a bit since living in this facility….about 1/3 of the facility is for rehab, those who come to heal and go home….leaving 2/3 for those who are permanent residents. Some permanent ones are mixed in with the rehad patients, but most are in their own area…but we all eat together…and no fixed sitting assignments.

My first week I was in a wheelchair so the attendant put me wherever there was a spot…along with the majority of people in wheelchairs. Now, I take my pillow and find a vacant chair(not many-less than 5).


Verses 18 and 19 follow the section where Jesus grills Peter about his love.

Jesus gives Peter his assignment, Peter renews his commitment to Jesus…

Jesus says to Peter….

“Feed my lambs”

“Take care of my sheep”

“Feed my sheep”


 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” 

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 


(Then Jesus tells Peter of his end days…)

Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

John.21.15-19


And while I realize this passage may allude to Peter’s martyrdom…the picture is so here and now…for me…the people I am living with…

They were all younger, I was younger once, going where they/I wanted, living the Life…pursuing careers, marrying, traveling, having children, driving, etc, etc, etc….


And now here we are, being dressed by another, lead places we may not want to go…watching through the windows at life going by..the world has shrunk to a bed, a bathroom, hallways leading to the kitchen or rehab room…


It is a time where I go to the first verses, renewing my Love for Christ…feeding,caring  for those whom Christ brings across my path…


There is no break for age…serve as best we can wherever we are…


Thank YOU…


Psalm 23


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo3HgtT_OiE

No comments:

Post a Comment