Monday, April 3, 2023

Balm…

 Balm….


Throughout this ordeal of hip pain and finally hip replacement, I have tried various salves or balms to cut down the pain…since I have been in this rehad facility, one of the PTs I have worked with has finished each session with one, rubbing it in, working the knotted, spastic muscles out…trying to get the “angry, complaining”muscles to calm down and heal…


At night I have rubbed the same salve in, followed by warming pads…as well as taking muscle relaxants.   Quite the process to go through for calming the body and accepting new body parts…but, so helpful….


It made me think of the old song, “There is a Balm in Gilead”.

So that lead me to look up verses with contained balm or Balm of Gilead..where did it come from, etc…there are only 7 references to balm…


The first is …


 As they sat down to eat their meal, they looked up and saw a caravan of Ishmaelites coming from Gilead. Their camels were loaded with spices, balm and myrrh, and they were on their way to take them down to Egypt.

Gen.37.25


This reference had a wonderful explanation….


“Thrown into a pit, his envious brothers were eager to be rid of him. A traveling group of Ishmaelites who traded goods—including the balm of Gilead, arrive on the scene. Ishmaelites were distant, often unfriendly, relatives of Israel. But the meaning of Ishmael is key—it means, “God that hears.” Despite the boy’s desperate situation, God had not forgotten him. Instead, the Lord provided a way out of the pit and a road leading to the purpose.

The writer also tells us the “camels were loaded with spices, balm , and myrrh.” I believe these details are important for a few reasons. First, Joseph would have recognized these items. Because God had given him unusual prophetic insight, I believe Joseph would have been encouraged by their presence as he realized God was with him and able to heal any wound, emotional or spiritual.”


The other verses speak of the balm as well…Gilead was known for it spices, herbs.

But, in the bigger picture, the balm, the healing comes from none other that Jesus…he is our healer, our balm…


There is a balm in Gilead 
To make the wounded whole
There is a balm in Gilead 
To heal the sin-sick soul

Sometimes I feel discouraged
And think my work's in vain
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again

Don't ever feel discouraged
For Jesus is your friend
And if you lack of knowledge
He'll ne'er refuse to lend

If you cannot preach like Peter
If you cannot pray like Paul
You can tell the love of Jesus
And say, "He died for all".

Written in the 1850’s


 Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed;save me and I will be saved,for you are the one I praise.

Jer.17:14


Thank YOU for your Balm….




There is a balm in Gilead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9JALQRMb0


https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/what-is-the-balm-of-gilead-according-to-the-bible.html


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Is_a_Balm_in_Gilead


No comments:

Post a Comment