Sunday, April 16, 2023

Keep watch…

 Keep watch…



 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 

Matt.24.42


In this passage, Jesus is speaking of being watchful for the Lord’s return…but there are several other places in the Word where we are warned to keep watch or places that God himself keeps watching…security in Him…


 It was also called Mizpah, because he said, “May the Lord keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other.

Gen.31.49

Laban is speaking to Jacob. Mizpah meant lookout or watchtower…they built a pile of stones as a pledge to one another…


 David’s admonition to Solomon…keep, watch…


 “I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go and that the Lord may keep his promise to me: ‘If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a successor on the throne of Israel.’

1Kgs.2.2-4


Psalms and Proverbs portions…


 I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin;I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked.”

Ps.39.1


 Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;keep watch over the door of my lips.

Ps.141.3


 The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,keeping watch on the wicked and the good.

Prov.15.3 


 The eyes of the Lord keep watch over knowledge,but he frustrates the words of the unfaithful.

Prov.22.12


Future promises…

 But I will encamp at my temple to guard it against marauding forces.Never again will an oppressor overrun my people,for now I am keeping watch. 

On that day I will strike every horse with panic and its rider with madness,” declares the Lord. “I will keep a watchful eye over Judah, but I will blind all the horses of the nations.

Zech.9.8,Zech.12.4


Jesus praying…


 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.” Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour?

Mark.14.34, 37


Admonishment….

 “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning,

Luke.12.35


  Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

Acts.20.28


 I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

Rom.16.17


 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.

Heb.13.17


an interesting follow through on two words…keep watch…

Thank YOU…..


Watch over me…


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52_5VuwKVI

No comments:

Post a Comment