Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Slime…

 Slime….


 Let them be like the snail that dissolves into slime,

like the stillborn child who never sees the sun.

Ps.58.8


I know Psalm 58 is a serious psalm…describing the wicked and how the writer wants vengeance, judgement…vindicating the righteous, knowing that God judges rightly….


But, reading about slugs in scriptures is just picturesque….


Having lived In the redwoods of Northern California, or in Oregon’s Willamette Valley, we had slugs….


Our first home was rather rustic, with hoses for water pipes, slanting floors, very old chunks of carpet, curtains for doors, add-on bathroom…but we had a roof over our heads, running water and electricity…a great start for newlyweds, college students…

But, we had slugs which felt at home as well…leaving their slimy trails on the old cracked linoleum as they made their way across the rooms…yuck…


My mother visited for Mother’s Weekend, staying with us…an adventure…as she used the old claw-footed tub, a slug made its way across the floor, leaving its trail across her slippers…she often told that story showing her slippers from which the slime would not wash away…


Our gardens often were infested with slugs…as they ate the tender plants at will…joke cans were sold with “slug slime”…teeshirts adorned with slugs and make believe slime were popular…

 

Moving to Nevada for grad school, jobs and raising our family, we did not miss the slugs at all…other critters became the enemy…


I just soooo appreciate the pictures in the Bible that makes it relatable…the writers talk of real things, creatures, real feelings, life events..a Real God…truth…


Thank YOU…


 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

2Tim.3.16-17


 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. 

Your testimonies are my delight;they are my counselors. 

Make me understand the way of your precepts,and I will meditate on your wondrous works. 

Give me understanding, that I may keep your lawand observe it with my whole heart. 

Remember your word to your servant,in which you have made me hope. 

The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love;teach me your statutes!

Ps.119.1.119.24, 27, 34, 49, 69


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug


No comments:

Post a Comment