Friday, September 30, 2022

Psalm 61…David and Jonah…

 Psalm 61….David and Jonah…



I was reading this psalm this morning….the notes directed me to Jonah as a similar prayer..

1. Both have a specific appeal for help..

2. Both have a feeling of separation…

3. Both reference the temple or tabernacle…

4. Both speak of vows…

5. Both speak of praise or thanksgiving…

6. Both speak of refuge…

7. Both call on God specifically…

8. Both prayed in time of trouble…


Just thought it was interesting…Jonah was many years after David…and here I are many, many years after them both…and I could still pray the same prayers…


God hears my prayers just the same over the ages…they are just as relevant now …as God is the same in time, everlasting…just as current as He was thousands of years ago…and will continue to be…


Thank YOU…


 Hear my cry, O God,listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint.

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge,a strong tower against the enemy. 

Let me dwell in your tent forever!Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah 

For you, O God, have heard my vows;you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. 

Prolong the life of the king;may his years endure to all generations! 

May he be enthroned forever before God;appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him! 

So will I ever sing praises to your name,as I perform my vows day after day.

Ps.61.1-8


 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish, saying,“I called out to the Lord, out of my distress,and he answered me;out of the belly of Sheol I cried,and you heard my voice. 

For you cast me into the deep,into the heart of the seas,and the flood surrounded me;all your waves and your billows passed over me. 

Then I said, ‘I am driven away from your sight;yet I shall again look upon your holy temple.’ 

The waters closed in over me to take my life;the deep surrounded me;weeds were wrapped about my head     at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me forever;yet you brought up my life from the pit,O Lord my God. 

When my life was fainting away,I remembered the Lord,and my prayer came to you,into your holy temple. 

Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love. 

But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you;what I have vowed I will pay.

Salvation belongs to the Lord!”

Jonah.2.1-9


No comments:

Post a Comment