Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The rose garden…

 The rose garden…


My town has a rose garden…


“History

In the late 1920’s discussion was had in Caldwell regarding ways to improve and beautify the pump house in Luby Park. It was known that Dr. William J. Boone, long time member of the community and founder of Albertson College of Idaho loved roses. In the 1930’s these two ideas were brought together with the WPA (Works Projects Administration). 

The rose garden was established in 1933. The men of the project built the rock ledges and businesses donated funds for the roses. Soon a Rose society was organized and working with the City of Caldwell each has been instrumental in keeping the grounds in good condition.

In the 1950’s roses were given to passengers of the Union Pacific Railroad’s “Portland Rose” passenger train as it stopped in Caldwell. The garden held over 4,000 plants of 150 varieties in 1952. Varieties of roses include Old European Roses, Noisettes, Damask Perpetual, China Roses, Shrub Roses, Rugosa Roses, Polyanthas, Hybrid Perpetuals, Tea Roses, Species Roses, Climbers and Ramblers. The garden has several varieties to enjoy.

In the 1970’s members of the Forward Club of Caldwell distributed roses to establishments in the town. These many acts of sharing have brought much enjoyment to many in the town.” From the Caldwell Public Library… 


I have seen it from afar, but gate was locked so never ventured in….the other day, I just had to get out, my house had shrunken around me, the heat had trapped me from walking outside too much this whole summer, Covid and back pain had held me captive enough and I needed to get away while I could escape…and low and behold the gates to the garden were open, beckoning me to enter….thank YOU….


Wandering around among the many colors and varieties, I found they too had cooked in the summer heat, but still held their flowers high for others to stop, and smell, to enjoy…


Thank YOU for the respite…a place prepared to rest, to refresh…paths to wander, to gather, to comfort, to see Your creativity, Your goodness….


 Psalm 23. A psalm of David.

The  Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 

He makes me lie down in green pastures,he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil,for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before mein the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 

Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,and I will dwell in the house of the forever.Ps.23.1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment