Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Highs, lows and the everyday….

 Highs, lows and the everyday….


I found myself doing laundry, cleaning, washing dishes, and hemming school pants for one of my grandsons yesterday….the everyday things after a whirlwind  week of company, dinners, family gatherings, and finally a wedding….


From the highs to the everyday….


Most of our lives are the “everyday “….


We have highs in big fun, celebratory events, the get togethers, the new babies, the weddings, the graduations…the things that bring laughter, joy , fun into our lives…


And we have lows…the illnesses, the uncertainty, the wars, the downturns, the funerals…


But, mostly we have the everyday….the day in, day out…  chores, laundry, cleaning, gardening, daily school, taxiing to somewhere…


I thought of the Israelites in their 40 year “everyday” sojourn in the desert…they had “everyday”….although their food was provided, their clothes didn’t wear out…they did have highs and lows of creativity of the tabernacle, the celebrations, the given law…and finally the taking of the land at the end with homes, food provided again…the promised land…


Or Ruth…daily gleaning in the fields for food…only to celebrate a marriage with the owner and become in the lineage of David, Jesus…


Gideon, daily, secretly, gathering grain to care for his family, but then chosen to defeat the enemy….


And on through the Word, people living the “everyday “ life, persevering through life and death, highs and lows, the sweat of their brows…daily fishing, daily providing, daily learning….


Just as we still do now years and years later…and all the years in between….just as Solomon wrote….there is really nothing new under the sun…


Jesus, fulfilling promises made, living on His created earth, day after day, teaching, healing, compassionate, knowing his end and resurrection persevered in doing the everyday…


Thank YOU for the highs and and even the lows….the everyday….You are with us through it all…as we press on….


 Let us acknowledge the Lord;let us press on to acknowledge him.As surely as the sun rises,he will appear;he will come to us like the winter rains,like the spring rains that water the earth. Hos.6.3


 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Phil.3.12-14


 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. Jas.1.25




Through it all….by Andrae Crouch, a popular 1990’s song,

Last verse…


Through it all,

through it all,

I’ve learned to depend upon His Word.


I thank God for the mountains,

and I thank Him for the valleys,

I thank Him for the storms He brought me through.

For if I’d never had a problem,

I wouldn’t know God could solve them,

I’d never know what faith in God could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment