Friday, January 18, 2019

That donkey .....

That donkey....Donkeys, Animals, Family, Donkeys

Of all things to dream about, a donkey...

The room was filled with people standing around a table covered with a large variety of objects...stuffed animals, ornament, papers...

The assignment was to choose something that would remind you of a resolution, a desire that you had made for the coming year.....easy...? Yes and no...mine stood out all by itself...a small, felted, stuffed donkey/burro, the only one there...just for me...

As I awoke, I kept thinking about that dream....why a donkey, why the dream...usually I don't remember dreams well unless there is a lesson robe learned...

A while back I wrote about the missing donkey in the nativity story...we take for granted that Mary rode on a donkey to Bethlehem although it really doesn't say anywhere that she did...our Christmas cards all depict that...I can Imagine doing that at full  term pregnancy...(I would have rather walked).

-Jesus asked for one to ride into Jerusalem while the crowd cheered...a sign of a king...
"saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me. 3 If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away.” This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: “Say to Daughter Zion, ‘See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’” The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Hosanna in the highest heaven!” When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, “Who is this?” The crowds answered, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.”
Matthew 21:2-11


-Donkeys were counted as part of man's wealth..
"He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels."
Genesis 12:16

"The Lord has blessed my master abundantly, and he has become wealthy. He has given him sheep and cattle, silver and gold, male and female servants, and camels and donkeys."
Genesis 24:35

-Used a description of Ishmael...
"The angel of the Lord also said to her: “You are now pregnant and you will give birth to a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard of your misery. He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone’s hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers. ”
Genesis 16:11-12

-Used as a pack animal ...beast of burden...
"Early the next morning Abraham got up and loaded his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about."
Genesis 22:3
"they loaded their grain on their donkeys and left."
Genesis 42:26

-one spoke to it master ... A stubborn man...used by God to get the man's attention...
"Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the Moabite officials. But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the Lord stood in the road to oppose him. Balaam was riding on his donkey, and his two servants were with him. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand, it turned off the road into a field. Balaam beat it to get it back on the road. Then the angel of the Lord stood in a narrow path through the vineyards, with walls on both sides. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it pressed close to the wall, crushing Balaam’s foot against it. So he beat the donkey again. Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff. Then the Lord opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times? ” Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now. ” The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?” “No,” he said. Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown. The angel of the Lord asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me. The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.” Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned. I did not realize you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go back.” The angel of the Lord said to Balaam, “Go with the men, but speak only what I tell you.” So Balaam went with Balak’s officials."
Numbers 22:21-35

-used on an errand of mercy...
"33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him."
Luke 10:33-34

When traveling through south eastern Oregon/northwestern Nevada, these little donkeys perk their ears up, waiting a handout...they stand, watching the traffic, posing(it seems)...I can envision the Bible people walking across the desert, followed by these stout little furry animals...

As I thought through these uses earlier...that small stuffed donkey in my dream...I was blessed...
Maybe be a spokesperson, a carrier of a King...a burden bearer....these all describe a mission I have been given...we all have ...thank YOU...


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey#Burro

https://thecloudfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/23-mom-and-me.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment