Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Jacob's sheep....

Jacob's sheep...

Yesterday, I took one of my grandsons to a small zoo near where I live...it was a beautiful day and not many people were there as school has started...we were privileged to go inside several enclosures to pet some of the animals...(last time we came, there were so many children they weren't allowing entrance, just touch through the fence). Various pens held small brown kanagoos, goats, sheep of various kinds, alpacas, yaks, wild donkeys, zebra, zedonks, zorses, lots of kinds of deer...plus a multitude of monkeys, porcupines, otter and many other animals, birds, reptiles ...

But, one pen we went into had Jacob's sheep...small sheep, heavily coated, small footed and a variety of colors...some even with spots...they were more interested in eating than being petted at the time...fun to see the sheep mentioned in the Bible...with Jacob and Laban...you could almost hear their dickering in the background over the who got which sheep...

If he said, ‘The speckled ones will be your wages,’ then all the flocks gave birth to speckled young; and if he said, ‘The streaked ones will be your wages,’ then all the flocks bore streaked young. So God has taken away your father’s livestock and has given them to me.
Genesis 31:8-9

Later in the evening to add to my "animal/sheep" day, I watched Jennifer Rothschild  introduce her new Bible study on Psalm 23.  It sounds like another good one...she is a talented writer...

sheep again...this time not dickering over who gets which sheep, but the comfort of the Good Shepherd in our lives...His care and compassion...his sanctuary to all who call on his name...thank YOU for your reminder throughout the day of Your presence from the ancient times to our present everyday lives...You bring to mind your care throughout the ages...

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23:1-6

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.
27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
John 10:11,14-15,27-30

No comments:

Post a Comment