Monday, August 13, 2018

Cutting horse...good shepherds...

Cutting horse ....good shepherds...z

When I was young, under 8 years old, we lived in ranches at various locations in California...from the north near Alturus, the Central Valley near Visalia and the coastal area near Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo. The ranch operation that my dad worked for at that time had cattle ranches in each of these areas...in my parents photo albums, there are a variety of pictures taken during these fun times...(at least, I though they were fun). But my parents made an adventure out these places and met lifelong friends. From this early "training", when I was married, we did many similar things, living different places as well, not ranching but geology. We met life long friends as well, with whom I still keep in contact periodically.

I digress ....
I was reminded of this period in my life as the pastor spoke about cutting horses in his Sunday sermon...
My father trained a horse as a cutting horse early on, which we had until she died when I was in my early teens...Stormy.  She was a trustworthy horse which my dad would put me on when we moved cattle...she was trained to watch the cattle and make sure they stayed in line and if they tried to escape, you could be sure she would go after them...so I had to hang on and let her work ( I was 6-8 years old).

In the corrals, she would help single out cows to go somewhere else, out maneuvering them back and forth until they obeyed ...this was tedious and strenuous work...but, she knew her job and did well in it...that was her calling...

When the cattle got away either in the drive or the corrals, there was chaos and regrouping and more work...so we all had to be watchful of those disobedient ones...

With cattle, you try herd them, push them in the way they need to go...with sheep, you lead and hopefully they will follow... Each group has ones who willfully try to go their  own way just as people do...

In the body of Christ we have that as well...we want out own way, and go our own ways as well...we have the Shepherd  who draws us back in...we have shepherds the world over who care for their flocks, seeking those who go astray, seeking those who God has chosen...
We are told to bring those back into the flock who have sinned in the book of James....to try to restore ones back into their faith... It too, is strenuous work, being watchful over the flock...

My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.
James 5:19-20

I will place shepherds over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing, ” declares the Lord.
"The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The Lord Our Righteous Savior.
Jeremiah 23:4-6

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:11,14-15

Thank YOU for being my Shepherd...watchful, vigilant in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment