Saturday, July 21, 2018

Wheat and barley

Wheat and barley....

I walk through an area that has lots of grain, not a place where they harvest, that is the next field...but this trail has grain growing near it, like it was planted for the birds...so doves, quail feast there...they jump up and down, reaching the heads of the grain, scattering it about  while others greedily eat it...it is like they are the gleaners on the edge of the big fields ripe for harvest...the heads of grain are full, plentiful, provided freely for these birds...provision...

26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Matthew 6:26
I am reminded not to worry...

In Leviticus, I am reminded to bring my first fruits to the Lord...my offerings to Him...my heart...
“‘Every grain offering you bring to the Lord must be made without yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or honey in a food offering presented to the Lord. You may bring them to the Lord as an offering of the firstfruits, but they are not to be offered on the altar as a pleasing aroma. Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings. “‘If you bring a grain offering of firstfruits to the Lord, offer crushed heads of new grain roasted in the fire. Put oil and incense on it; it is a grain offering. The priest shall burn the memorial portion of the crushed grain and the oil, together with all the incense, as a food offering presented to the Lord.
Leviticus 2:11-16

As I was reading Hosea, I am  reminded of judgement ....
“They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. The stalk has no head; it will produce no flour. Were it to yield grain, foreigners would swallow it up.
Hosea 8:7

Gideon was threshing grain, hidden in a wine press...
The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior. ” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.” The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family. ” The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.”
Judges 6:11-16
I am reminded of a reluctant leader, whom the Lord used....

Boaz and Ruth at the threshing floor...I am reminded of provision and redemption....
Her mother-in-law asked her, “Where did you glean today? Where did you work? Blessed be the man who took notice of you! ” Then Ruth told her mother-in-law about the one at whose place she had been working. “The name of the man I worked with today is Boaz,” she said. “The Lord bless him! ” Naomi said to her daughter-in-law. “He has not stopped showing his kindness to the living and the dead.” She added, “That man is our close relative; he is one of our guardian-redeemers. ” Then Ruth the Moabite said, “He even said to me, ‘Stay with my workers until they finish harvesting all my grain.’” Naomi said to Ruth her daughter-in-law, “It will be good for you, my daughter, to go with the women who work for him, because in someone else’s field you might be harmed.” He also said, “Bring me the shawl you are wearing and hold it out.” When she did so, he poured into it six measures of barley and placed the bundle on her. Then he went back to town.
Ruth 2:19-22,3:15

Reading Psalm 1 reminds me to be fruitful, not chaff that blows in the wind...
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers. Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.
Psalm 1:3-4

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
Matthew 9:37-38
Jesus speaking to his disciples...I am reminded that He tells us to be workers in the kingdom...



Thank YOU for the reminders...these are but a few...You Are Lord of the Harvest...the Provider...the Judge...

No comments:

Post a Comment